4,070 Altitude. 1,074
Legislature created Jack County from Cook County on August 14, 1856. Jack county was named
after William H. and Patrick C. Jack, brothers and patriots of the Texas Revolution. In
1856, settlers of this community called their village "Mesquiteville" because of
all the mesquite trees in the area. It was named Jacksborough in 1858, then was shortened
to Jacksboro in 1887.
Jacksboro is recognized not for the
famous Goodnight and Loving Cattle Trails, but also for the fact that the Butterfield
Overland Mail Route ran through the town from 1856 till 1861, connecting St. Louis to San
Today a block of native limestone
buildings erected before the turn of the century lends a wonderful picturesque accent to
the town square. A famous old-opera house, where officers from Fort Richardson (see below)
were entertained on Saturday nights, still stands on square.
Fort Richardson State Historic Site-
Fort Richardson was established in
Jacksboro on November 26, 1867. The calvary post was built to protect the settlers from
hostile Indians. In 1878, the post was abandoned. The grounds have since been made a State
Park. Today, you can see the restored hospital building, officer's quarters, ammunition
magazine, morgue, bakery, and commissary buildings. Fort Richardson State Park has become
a tourist attraction for many who visit North Central Texas. The park provides scenic
picnic areas, nature trails, full equipped campsites, screened shelters, and a pavilion.
In November, step out into the past, when life at the old calvary post is relived with the
"Fort Richardson Days Re-Enactment". Also....
-This fort is the most
northerly of line of Federal posts established in Texas after Civil War to halt Indian
depredations. Among regimental commanders was Colonel Ranald S. Mackenzie of famed
Mackenzie's Raiders. Most impressive building extant was post hospital. Enlisted men's
barracks serves as museum. Also existing are original wooden officers quarters built in
the 11 picket style with slim vertical lumber, powder magazine, morgue, and bakery that
produced some 600 loaves of bread daily. Recreational facilities include campsites with
electricity, picnic sites, rest rooms, showers, nature hiking trails, pond, fishing.
Southwest edge of city. Admission.
Jack County Museum-
Located in the oldest house in Jack County, two rooms furnished with period furnishings
depicting home life; one room dedicated to Jack County veterans. Memorabilia on Tom M.
Marks who organized Corn Club, which later became 4-H Club. Summer hours Wed. - Sat. 1 0
a.m. - noon, 1 - 5 p.m., Sun. 2 - 5 p.m.; winter, Fri. - Sat. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sun. 2 - 5
p.m. At 237 W. Belknap, just west of the square.
offers fun for everyone with its two city parks and lakes. It also has a swimming pool,
tennis courts, and baseball parks. The beautiful nine-hole golf course was rated 6th
in the top 25 best nine-hole golf courses in the state of Texas for 1991. Jacksboro has
produced several nationally known golfers over the years. Other recreational activities in
the city include: boating, fishing, swimming, water sking, and camping.
Hunting is also a
popular sport, with leases available frommany local landowners. Deer, quail, dove, turkey,
and wild hogs are among Jack County's wildlife.
refining and related oil field services are among the more prosperous industries in the
seat of Jack County. Other industries consist of agriculture, cattle and tourism. The main
crops for the area include wheat, oats, sudan, and hay.
equipped with a 3,200 ft. lighted runway, located southeast of lake Jacksboro on Highway
59 North. The hard surfaced runway is substantial for twin engine airplanes or lear jets.
visit us in Jacksboro.....We're located about sixty miles
south of Wichita Falls, sixty miles north of Fort Worth, and sixty miles
west of Denton.. It is commonly referred to as the
"CROSSROADS OF NORTH TEXAS"
| Return to Jacksboro-tx.com |